The video explains that built-in fields cannot be customized, but by using them as part of a custom field, you can expand their functionality.
- [Instructor] Our Finance group would like to know…the maximum task work in hours…for each summary group in our project.…So before we get started building that custom field,…we might want to save a new table…since we're adding custom fields to this table,…and this is the out of the box entry table.…So, to further define that…we're going to go to the Tables option,…and select "Save Fields as New Table",…and name our table "Finance Table", and press OK.…
Now that our new table is set into the custom area,…we can add some additional columns to it.…So I'm going to go to the Start column,…and right click and insert a column…just to the left of that called Work.…Here you can see that all of the work values…are summarized for each and every task,…and of course, summaries in our project.…However, we want the maximum value, not the sum.…So, we're going to create a new custom field…to do that summarization.…
We'll go to our Project ribbon, and select Custom Fields.…In the Custom Fields area, we'll need to pick a new type,…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with Bonnie Biafore.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Touring custom field categories
- Working with enterprise fields
- Creating lookup tables
- Choosing custom fields
- Using custom fields to edit built-in fields
- Importing fields and formulas
- Creating formulas to edit text based on other fields
- Creating graphical indicators
- Choosing effective indicators
- Importing indicator criteria