Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Updating a subcontractor's external schedule, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Remember how we made one subcontractor's project file…a subproject in another movie?…When the subcontractor sends an updated file with progress,…some file management is all it takes…to get that data into your main file.…Let's open up the updated file the subcontractor sent.…To do that, I'm going to go to my Exercise Files folder,…to the folder for Chapter 3,…and the subfolder for movie 0304.…The file I want to look at…is implementation_sub_update.…
Double click that file name…to open it up in Project.…We've got three completed tasks in this subproject.…Let's click the last completed task, Update software.…And at the right end of the Task tab,…I'm going to click Scroll to Task.…When I look at the time scale, I can see…these dark blue bars show what's been complete.…We can see that this project is completed…through Friday August 10th.…
Now let's close this project file,…so I go up to the top right corner and click the x.…The dialog box opens and asks if I want to save the changes…to this project.…I don't, because I really didn't make any changes,…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to show the type of contract for a new resource.
- Recall how to set up a team resource to track time and cost.
- Recognize the benefits of inserting a subcontractor’s project into a main project file.
- Determine how to add a summary task as a part of a last milestone.
- Identify the steps taken to view all tasks assigned to a specific subcontractor.
- Summarize the type of relationships shown in four kinds of charts in the Resource Cost Overview.