Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Updating a project with progress data from Excel, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Subcontractors might send Excel files…with their progress data.…If they're going to do that,…it's important to get the right stuff.…But once you clear that hurdle,…getting the data into Project is a snap.…Before we bring data in,…we're going to set some options in Project.…So, let's head to the File tab and go down…to the bottom of the menu and click Options.…In the Project Options dialog box,…you want to head to the Advanced category…and then scroll down to the very bottom.…
We want to set some options in the…"Calculation options for this project" section.…The first thing we're going to change is…to turn on the very first checkbox,…"Move end of completed parts after the status date…"back to the status date."…Well, what that's saying is,…if the work was done, it was done in the past,…so bring it back to the status date…so it occurs in the past.…The next one we're going to turn on is…the second checkbox, "and move the start…"of remaining parts back to the status date."…What this is saying is that if you have…remaining work to be done,…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance