Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Updating fixed-price progress, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- View Offline
- With fixed price contracts,…the only thing you need to update,…at least in your project file,…is when tasks are completed.…Sure, there's more to managing fixed price contracts…and the work they represent, but in project,…task finish dates affect the rest of the schedule…and milestone finish dates often trigger payments…to the subcontractor.…To see how all of this works,…let's start by getting back to the full Gantt chart.…On the Task tab, click the bottom half of the Gantt Chart button…and then choose Gantt Chart on the dropdown list.…
Also, we want to scroll up to the top of the project,…so head over to the right side of the screen…and drag that vertical scroll bar up to the top.…In order to update some of the tasks that we want…that relate to fixed price contracts,…we have to start by updating the early tasks…in this project.…To keep things simple, I'm going to update them…as if they occurred just like we planned.…Project makes that really easy.…I'm going to drag over task ID's two through ten.…
So that's through the end of initiation complete.…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance