In this movie, you see how to update duration for incomplete tasks. The movie shows how to apply a custom view and apply a filter to focus on tasks to update. Then it describes methods for updating actual and remaining duration.
- [Voiceover] When you don't care about hours worked,…the best way to update incomplete tasks…is by filling in the actual start date, actual duration,…and remaining duration.…Actual duration is the duration that's complete,…and remaining duration is what's still left.…Before we update any tasks,…let's make sure that our status date is what we want.…We're gonna head to the Project tab.…The status date in the status section…is currently set to June 26, 2017.…
Let's say we want to change that,…so I'm gonna click the calendar icon…to open the Status Date dialog box.…In the Select Date box, click the down arrow,…and in the calendar, choose your new status date.…Let's say that it's Friday, June 30th.…I click that date and then click OK…to get my new status date.…Because we're updating duration,…I want to use the custom view that we created…precisely for doing that.…I'm gonna head to the Task tab,…and on the left side click the bottom half…of the Gantt Chart button.…
In the Custom list, choose the view C_UpdateDuration.…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.