In this movie, you see how to display tasks that might require updating, including using a custom view and applying a filter. Then, the movie shows how to update actual dates and actual and remaining work for multiple resources assigned to a task.
- [Voiceover] If a task is done,…but didn't run as you expected, you have to tell Project…what did happen.…To do updates when the tasks don't run according to schedule…we're going to use a custom view that we created earlier.…That's the C underscore update work view.…I've got taab displayed so on the left side…of that tab I'm going to click the bottom half of the…Gant chart button.…In the custom list, choose C underscore update work.…
The next thing we want to do is make sure that the status…date is the date that we want.…That means heading to the project tab.…In the status section I look at the status date,…June 16, 2017.…So it's already set, I don't have to change it.…Remember when you're updating tasks you don't have…to update summary tasks.…Project rolls the values from the work tasks…underneath summary tasks up into the summary tasks.…
To make our updates easier,…I'm going to hide the summary tasks.…Let's go to the format tab, and over on the right side…in the show hide section, turn off the check box…for Project summary task and the check box…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.