This movie shows how to apply a custom view to focus on tasks to update and set the status date for an update. Then it describes how to update actual and remaining duration for tasks in various places in Project. It also demonstrates how Project schedules incomplete work to start after the status date.
- [Voiceover] Suppose you want to track actual hours worked.…For example, when you pay a subcontractor by the hour…and you want to see how their time affects project cost.…In that case, you update tasks…by filling in the Actual Start Date…and then Actual and Remaining Work.…To do this kind of update,…we're gonna use the custom view…that we created earlier, C_UpdateWork.…To apply that, I go to the Task tab…and click the bottom half of the Gantt Chart button.…
In the Custom list, choose C_UpdateWork.…The other thing I'm gonna do is change the status date.…Remember, to do that, you go to the Project tab.…In the Status section, click the calendar icon.…In the Select Date box, click the down arrow.…Right now, the status date is July 17th.…It turns out, for this example,…I'm gonna go back in time a little bit.…I want June 30th.…
Now, you could click the left-pointing triangle…to go back to June, but if you notice,…part of June is displayed here.…So I can click June 30th even though it's gray…and that changes the Status Date to June 30th.…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting Project options for updating
- Building custom views for updating
- Updating and rescheduling tasks
- Updating duration, percentage complete, and work remaining
- Updating assignments
- Importing updates