Learn how to deal with high-stress projects and discover how to reward a quantifiable result.
- [Instructor] Every program manager from time to time…runs into a stressful project,…typically involving some sort of a dictated schedule…for reasons outside of your control.…So how do you deal with that?…It's still your job to set the team up for success…because setting them up for failure…doesn't help anybody, and simply cracking the whip…and saying work harder is not a solution.…There are things that you can do, as program manager,…to help your team and make it a tolerable,…if not enjoyable process.…So if you have a dictated schedule,…obviously you can change the scope, if possible,…so reducing the scope is the first thing…that you would want to look at,…or increasing the resources is something…that you would want to look at.…
The other thing is to recognize there are soft skills…and team interaction dynamics that need to be managed,…and one tool that I've used successfully in the past…is to reward these death march situations.…And I offered a bonus for meeting dates.…One specific example is we had a tight crunch,…
- Hard skills and soft skills needed for program management
- Reporting and managing risk
- Phases of program management
- Understanding customers
- Running effective team meetings
- Working with partners
- Engineering, architecture, design, and code reviews
- Managing delivery and release
- Competitive analysis
- Measuring results
Skill Level Intermediate
Big Data Foundations: Program Managementwith Alan Simon1h 11m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
Cert Prep: SNCP Foundations (S10-110)with Hubbert Smith2h 21m Intermediate
1. Career in Program Management
Reporting and managing risk3m 46s
2. Concept Development: Project Phase 0
3. Plan and Scope: Project Phase 1
4. Development and Execution: Project Phase 2
5. Delivery and Release: Project Phase 3
6. Operate: Project Phase 4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.