Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Splitting a task, part of Microsoft Project 2010 Essential Training.
- When tasks with the same resources overlap,…the people may not have enough time to get both tasks done.…If one task is fairly short, you can split other tasks.…That way, the person can jump onto the short task,…finish it, and go back to wrap up their other work.…To see how this works, we're going to look at…Identify additional costs and Hire contractors…for major tenant improvements.…If you look at the time scale, you can see that…Hiring the contractors is very short,…but it occurs right in the middle of…Identifying additional costs,…and the project manager is assigned to both.…
This is the perfect situation for adding a split to a task.…The first thing I'm going to do is…I'm going to expand the time scale…so it's easier to see the task bars.…To do that, I head to the View tab,…and then, in the Zoom section, I click the down arrow,…and I'm going to choose Quarter days.…That really expands the task bars so I'm going to be able…to see things much more clearly.…Well I have Hire contractors selected,…so I'm going to head up to the Quick Access toolbar,…
- Setting up projects and calendars
- Creating tasks and milestones
- Linking and timing tasks
- Setting up and assigning resources
- Understanding duration, work, and units
- Filtering and grouping items with views
- Adding tasks to a baseline
- Updating progress and costs
- Viewing project status
- Running reports
- Importing and exporting projects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Working with Project
2. Setting Up Project Files
3. Creating Tasks
4. Linking and Timing tasks
5. Creating Resources
6. Assigning Tasks to Resources
7. Working with Views
8. Fine-Tuning the Project Schedule
9. Tracking and Managing a Project
10. Viewing and Reporting Project Information
11. Sharing Projects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.