In this movie, you see which options you might want to set to control how Project updates progress, such as splitting in-progress tasks, whether task status affects resource status, and whether Project moves completed and incomplete portions before or after the status date.
- [Voiceover] Project has several options…that affect what happens when you update tasks.…Some are already set the way you want, right out of the box.…Others, you might want to change.…To get to Project options, head offer to the file tab.…At the bottom of the menu on the left hand side,…click options.…In the Project options dialog box,…we're gonna hit the schedule category.…On the left hand side of the dialog box,…click schedule.…Scroll down so you can see the section…scheduling options for this Project.…
The first option we're gonna look at…is split in-progress tasks.…It's turned on initially,…and that's the way you want it to stay.…When it's turned on, what that does…is it tells Project to split your taskbars…to reflect when work actually occurs.…That way, if there's a gap or a delay in the task,…you'll see that in your Gantt chart.…Next, we're gonna scroll down…to the bottom of this category.…The section is "Calculation options for this Project."…You wanna keep this check box…"Updating tax status updates resource status" turned on.…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.