How does scheduling fit into the project management lifecycle? Through planning, defining the project, sequencing, estimating the resources, developing a schedule based on this, and monitoring from there, you are ready.
- [Instructor] Managing a project schedule…isn't a once and done deal.…It's something you work on throughout most of the project.…In PMI's Project Management Book of Knowledge,…called PMBOK for short,…schedule related work is part of the project…schedule management knowledge area.…That's in the PMBOK sixth edition.…In the fifth edition it was called time management.…Let's walk through the life cycle…of a project management schedule.…
First, you plan how you're going to schedule the project.…For example, what scheduling tool will you use?…Are you going to measure progress in hours, days, or weeks?…Depending on your project,…this plan can be formal and detailed,…informal and high-level, or somewhere in between.…Next, you define project activities, also called tasks.…Activities represent the work that has to be done…to deliver the project's results.…
This activity definition starts…when you define your project scope.…Part of the scope is a work breakdown structure, or WBS.…The lowest levels in the WBS are work packages…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.