Learn to review demand and availability for each skill set.
- [Instructor] Once you add estimated work hours…to assigned resources,…you can see the resource demand…generated by active projects.…Comparing that demand to resource availability…helps you determine whether you have enough resources…to perform all the projects.…So let's set up a view…so that we can see the demand by skill set…and that turns out to be a Resource Usage view.…On the Task tab,…click the bottom half of the Gantt Chart button…and on the drop down menu, you want to choose Resource Usage.…
The Resource Usage view summarizes the assignments…for each resource.…So here we have a summary row…for the generic resource, Project Manager…and then the assignments to the different projects…appear beneath that resource.…The thing is we want to see the demand by skill set,…not individual resources.…So we can group this view by skill set.…Now, if you remember back that we set up the group field…which is a resource field to be our skill sets…so let's group by that field.…
We're going to head over to the View tab,…in the Data Section, click the down arrow…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up portfolio measures
- Creating custom fields to calculate selection criteria
- Defining custom fields for risk measures
- Setting up resource planning
- Building a list of projects
- Adding graphical indicators to the portfolio dashboard
- Evaluating projects for the portfolio
- Reviewing demand and availability for each skill set
- Building a rough schedule
- Managing the portfolio