Program management is a viable career path. Learn how to develop a results-driven resume to set yourself up for career success one project at a time.
- [Instructor] A program manager's duty to successfully…and repeatably execute projects mean reporting…and managing risk.…So, how you do that is simply to find out about roadblocks…in time to do something about them.…There are some techniques to do that.…First thing to recognize is you'll need…to overcome some passive resistance from your team.…They'll say, well, doesn't he trust us?…Why all the reporting?…First, you need to make it lightweight,…and second, you need to develop trust with your team.…So, how would you do that?…The way that I've done this is to use a metaphor.…
Tell the team a speedometer should not slow down the car.…It's not my objective as a program manager…to make you report a lot and slow your efforts down…and such.…The way the team will report is, for each assigned task,…please produce a weekly report, due on noon on Friday,…and report for each task, 0% done, 25% done,…50% done, 75% done, or 100% done.…This is a very simple, very straightforward,…easy way to report progress.…
The idea, as a program manager,…
- Hard skills and soft skills needed for program management
- Reporting and managing risk
- Phases of program management
- Understanding customers
- Running effective team meetings
- Working with partners
- Engineering, architecture, design, and code reviews
- Managing delivery and release
- Competitive analysis
- Measuring results
Skill Level Intermediate
Big Data Foundations: Program Managementwith Alan Simon1h 11m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
Cert Prep: SNCP Foundations (S10-110)with Hubbert Smith2h 21m Intermediate
1. Career in Program Management
Reporting and managing risk3m 46s
2. Concept Development: Project Phase 0
3. Plan and Scope: Project Phase 1
4. Development and Execution: Project Phase 2
5. Delivery and Release: Project Phase 3
6. Operate: Project Phase 4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.