Another way to balance workloads is to reassign work to other people who have more time available. Replacing resources reduces overallocations. You can also use this approach to shorten the schedule.
- [Instructor] Another way to balance workloads is to…reassign work to other people who have more time available.…Replacing resources not only reduces overallocations,…you can also use this approach to shorten the schedule.…This method works only if you have other people…with the right skills available.…First, look at the people who are…overallocated on your project.…For example, the graphic designer is overallocated working…on screenshots and illustrations at the same time.…
Then, see if there are people with the same skills…to take on some of the overallocated assignments.…Depending on the constraints on…your project or your company,…you could consider other employees,…contractors, or third-party vendors.…If you find people with the right skills who are available…at the right time, go ahead and start…the procurement process as soon as you can.…Once you're sure you have the replacements lined up,…change your schedule to reassign the overallocated work.…
In this example, say you find an illustrator…to handle the training guide illustrations,…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.