When the finish date and budget are non-negotiable, project scope is another variable you can adjust to make everything balance. In this case, choose the most appropriate part of the project to eliminate.
- When the finish date and budget are non-negotiable,…project scope is another variable you can adjust…to make everything balance.…Reducing scope translates to cutting the activities…associated with delivering that scope.…So the time and cost for those activities…gets subtracted from the schedule.…Fewer tasks on the critical path mean a shorter schedule.…Fewer work hours means lower labor cost,…and other cost reductions like overhead.…
Reducing project scope is a last resort…because the scope is intimately tied…to the project goal and objectives.…In many projects, the stakeholders decide…which parts of scope to cut.…However, if the stakeholders ask for suggestions,…revisit the project objectives…to see which is the least important.…In our sample project, the training guide is top priority.…
The website is the next highest priority,…but it isn't causing the finish date issue.…Initially, it doesn't look like removing scope…will shorten the schedule.…But reducing scope doesn't have to be…traumatic or permanent.…One option is to break the project into pieces.…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.