Because the critical path controls the project finish date, you can keep your project on schedule by managing activities on the critical path. Learn ways to use the critical path to manage the schedule.
- [Instructor] Because the critical path…controls the project finish date,…you can keep your project on schedule…by managing activities on the critical path.…If you're trying to shorten your project schedule…or keep its finish date on track,…critical activities are the key.…Management and teams can focus on the critical paths…to find ways to compress the schedule.…Of course, don't shorten durations unrealistically…simply to meet deadlines.…
In our example, the work on the training guide…is on the critical path.…Those activities are in red.…Website planning and design are not on the critical path.…Those bars are blue.…To keep this project on track,…you should focus on the training guide work first.…The critical path also helps if your project…is already delayed or needs to finish sooner.…Shorten activities on the critical path first…because they'll bring the project finish date in sooner.…
Keep in mind enough resources have to be available…when you need them for this approach to work.…Suppose the stakeholders want the training guide…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.