This movie identifies several details that you must perform correctly to import actual values into Project, including how to name columns and format values in an Excel workbook, how to work with an import map, and how to update milestones. The movie also identifies third-party software for importing progress data.
- [Voiceover] You might consider…importing team members' updates.…Unfortunately, getting actual values…to import properly can be time consuming and sometimes…importing simply doesn't work for unknown reasons.…We'll start by looking at Project's import idiosyncrasies.…And if importing doesn't work for you,…I'll tell you about third-party software that can help.…For imports to work properly you have…to have your data set up just right.…
The quickest way to create a task update form…for your team members to fill out is to copy and paste…values from a project table into an Excel worksheet.…When you do that, Project automatically fills in…the first row in the worksheet…with the headings from the project table.…The problem is those headings usually aren't headings…that Project recognizes when you import data.…For example, task name isn't a project field,…so you need to change that heading to name.…
For fields like remaining duration,…you have to replace spaces with underscores.…And percent complete needs to be spelled out…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.