Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Producing subcontractor task lists, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Suppose you want to give subcontractors…a list of the tasks they're supposed to work on.…In Project, it's easy to create a task list…and save it to an Excel workbook.…In this example, we'll build a filter…to show tasks scheduled from one week before…to two weeks after the status date.…Before we get into all of that,…there are a couple of small things we need to do.…First of all, we don't have a baseline for our project.…Let's save that right now.…To do that, head to the Project tab.…
In the Schedule section, click Set Baseline.…On the dropdown menu, choose Set Baseline.…We're going to use the basic baseline…and it's already selected.…In addition, the option for baselining the entire project…is also selected.…All you have to do is head down to the bottom and click Ok.…And now we have a baseline on our project.…The other thing that I want to do is because we're going to…work on something that relates to this status date,…I'm going to set the status date.…
That's also on the Project tab.…In the Status section, click this calendar icon.…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance