Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- In this course, we've explored project features…to plan and manage projects that use subcontractors.…We set up resources for hourly and fixed-price subs…and assigned them to tasks.…I also showed you how to include…a Subs Project Schedule as a Subproject,…then we updated Subcontractor Progress…and built reports to analyze their performance.…But don't stop there.…This series has other handy topics,…like, Managing Resource Constraint Projects,…or Time Constraint Projects,…and Budget Constraint Projects,…managing actual values and mastering graphical reports.…
If those courses aren't out yet,…while you're waiting, you can pick up…lots of tips and tricks in my Project Essential…Tutorial and Advanced Microsoft Project Course.…I'm Bonnie Biafore.…I learn something new with each course I record.…I hope you've enjoyed discovering…these Project techniques as much as I have.…Thanks so much for joining me…in Managing Projects That Use Subcontractors.…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to show the type of contract for a new resource.
- Recall how to set up a team resource to track time and cost.
- Recognize the benefits of inserting a subcontractor’s project into a main project file.
- Determine how to add a summary task as a part of a last milestone.
- Identify the steps taken to view all tasks assigned to a specific subcontractor.
- Summarize the type of relationships shown in four kinds of charts in the Resource Cost Overview.