This video shows how to separate tasks that follow different schedules into different projects so the project calendar and project options work together .
- [Instructor] Remember how calendars…and calendar options have to work together?…What if parts of your project run…on a very different schedule than the rest?…One way to manage these outlier schedules…while maintaining the conversions between hours,…days, and weeks is to break those tasks out…into their own project.…So here we have an exercise file…for our Software Development Project.…If I go to the Project tab and click Change Working Time…I can see that this project is using the Standard calendar…as its Project Calendar…and it's set to 8 to 6 with an hour for lunch.…
Nine hour days and 45 hour work weeks.…I'm going to click Cancel down at the bottom right…to close that dialog box.…And then I'm going to go to the File tab and choose Options,…because I want to check the calendar options.…In the Project Options dialog box…I go to the Schedule category…and the default options for this file are start time 8 AM,…end time 6 PM, 9 hour days, 45 hour weeks.…
The calendar options match the Project Calendar.…So that's great.…
Next, Bonnie explains how to create shift calendars by setting work schedules for specific tasks and assigning schedules to resources. Then learn how to fine-tune project, task, and resource calendars, including biweekly schedules. Last, she covers working with multiple calendars, including copying and sharing custom calendars with all Project files and integrating multiple projects with different calendars into a single master Project file.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with John Riopel.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up your organization's calendar, including nonworking periods
- Coordinating calendars
- Creating a new shift calendar
- Assigning calendars to resources
- Customizing project, task, and resource calendars
- Working with multiple calendars in a master Project file