This video shows how to use the Organizer to copy custom calendars from Project files into the Project global template, so the calendars can be used in all Project files.
- [Instructor] When you modify built-in calendars…or create new ones, Project saves them…in the active project file.…If you want to use those calendars in other projects,…copy them to your global template file.…Here I have one of the exercise calendar files,…and it's the file basically from the end…of the movie on elapsed time,…and that has some of the custom calendars in it…that I've created so far.…I also want to open the file that has my eight days on…six days off calendar.…
So let's go to the Exercise Files folder,…and that project, I saved that in the folder…for chapter three.…It's called Drill Well, so I'm going to double-click…that project file to open it up in Project.…Now that I have my two projects open…that have the calendars that I want to copy,…I'm going to go to the File tab,…and click Organizer.…Because we're working with calendars,…in the Organizer dialog box,…I want to click the Calendars tab.…
Right now the Drill Well project is my active project…so I see that on the right-hand side.…Calendars available in says Drill Well…
Next, Bonnie explains how to create shift calendars by setting work schedules for specific tasks and assigning schedules to resources. Then learn how to fine-tune project, task, and resource calendars, including biweekly schedules. Last, she covers working with multiple calendars, including copying and sharing custom calendars with all Project files and integrating multiple projects with different calendars into a single master Project file.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with John Riopel.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up your organization's calendar, including nonworking periods
- Coordinating calendars
- Creating a new shift calendar
- Assigning calendars to resources
- Customizing project, task, and resource calendars
- Working with multiple calendars in a master Project file