In this video, you will gain an understanding of what project management is at a high level.
- Many project managers get their start…because they're good at making things happen.…But project management is more than…showing off your organizational skills…and supervising others.…It means applying your knowledge and skills…using various tools and techniques…to achieve your project's objectives.…Project management can be summed up…as answering a few crucial questions.…The first question you have to answer is…what problem are you solving?…Figuring out what the project is supposed…to accomplish is a big step towards…a successful project.…
Here's Yogi Berra's off-kilter take on it.…"You've got be very careful if you don't know…"where you're going,…"because you might not get there."…The second question is…how are you going to solve this problem?…Whether you're solving a problem…or pouncing on an opportunity,…you might have to choose from several…possible strategies.…Once you've picked your approach,…it's time to flesh out your solution…by gathering requirements,…identifying deliverables,…defining project scope,…and so on.…
Bonnie Biafore has always been fascinated by how things work and how to make things work better. In this course, she explains the fundamentals of project management, from defining the problem, establishing project goals and objectives, and building a project plan to managing team resources, meeting deadlines, and closing the project. Along the way, she provides tips for reporting on project performance, keeping a project on track, and gaining customer acceptance.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining the components of a project
- What it takes to be a project manager
- Using project management software like Microsoft Project
- Managing project scope, budget, and schedule
- Managing project resources, including people
- Managing project risk
- Initiating a project
- Identifying and managing stakeholders
- Identifying requirements and deliverables
- Developing a project plan
- Building a project schedule
- Assigning resources to tasks
- Understanding the critical path
- Running the project
- Managing teams
- Monitoring performance
- Closing a project
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Project Management
2. Exploring Project Management Knowledge Areas
3. First Things First
How to develop requirements4m 19s
4. Developing a Project Plan
5. Building a Project Schedule
6. While You Run the Project
7. Working with Teams
8. Monitoring and Controlling Progress and Performance
9. Closing a Project
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.