Explore several tips and techniques for making problem solving easier.
- Solving problems and making decisions are quite similar.…If you think about it, most decisions you make…as a project manager are about how you're going to solve…a problem or prevent it in the first place.…Here are a few tips for making problem solving easier.…First, focus on what's important.…Decision processes and problem solving can take time…and information, both of which could be in short supply.…
Learn to ignore what isn't important…regardless how urgent it seems to be.…If a problem comes your way, ask yourself if it's important.…If it isn't, ignore it.…Second, make sure you understand what the problem is…just like when you develop a problem statement…for the project.…Third, evaluate the impact of problems and prioritize…the ones that have the greatest effect on the project.…
In addition, carefully consider solutions to problems…that have significant and long-lasting effects…on the project.…With complex and/or crucial issues,…evaluate your options, just as you do with project strategy.…Even with big issues, don't ignore the option…
Bonnie Biafore has always been fascinated by how things work and how to make things work better. In this course, she explains the fundamentals of project management, from defining the problem, establishing project goals and objectives, and building a project plan to managing team resources, meeting deadlines, and closing the project. Along the way, she provides tips for reporting on project performance, keeping a project on track, and gaining customer acceptance.
- Defining the components of a project
- What it takes to be a project manager
- Using project management software like Microsoft Project
- Managing project scope, budget, and schedule
- Managing project resources, including people
- Managing project risk
- Initiating a project
- Identifying and managing stakeholders
- Identifying requirements and deliverables
- Developing a project plan
- Building a project schedule
- Assigning resources to tasks
- Understanding the critical path
- Running the project
- Managing teams
- Monitoring performance
- Closing a project
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Project Management
2. Exploring Project Management Knowledge Areas
3. First Things First
How to develop requirements4m 19s
4. Developing a Project Plan
5. Building a Project Schedule
6. While You Run the Project
7. Working with Teams
8. Monitoring and Controlling Progress and Performance
9. Closing a Project
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.