Many scheduling tools let you choose whether to keep duration, work, or resource units fixed when you modify resource assignments. Learn to specify which assignment variable should not change.
- [Instructor] Many scheduling tools…let you choose whether to keep duration,…work or resource units fixed…when you modify resource assignments.…If you estimate work for your project activities…it makes sense to keep work fixed.…With this approach, you add resources…and their availability to the project.…When you enter the work…and assign resources to each activity,…your scheduling tool calculates duration.…
If you change the resource units…on an assignment later…such as adding another resource,…the tool recalculates duration…while keeping the work the same.…If you change the duration,…the tool recalculates the resource units you need…to finish the work in that timeframe.…Another option is to keep duration fixed.…This is a good choice…if you don't assign resources to activities…or you must complete activities…in the duration that's been given.…
Fixed duration has an added advantage.…You can specify duration to the accuracy you prefer…such as whole or half days.…As you change assignments,…your scheduling tool won't change the duration…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.