Learn how to insert a project that has already been selected into the portfolio list.
- [Narrator] Projects that you've scheduled…or already started are a part…of your portfolio and decisions.…You can insert existing project schedules…as sub-projects into the portfolio file…and fill in the criteria fields…like you do for proposed projects.…That way you can compare projects already underway…with proposed projects.…To insert a project schedule as a sub-project…let's head to the first blank Task row…in our selection dashboard view.…
I'm going to click the Task Name cell…for that first blank cell.…Then I'm going to head over to the Project tab.…The very left side of the ribbon…in the Insert section, click Sub-Project.…That opens up the Insert Project dialogue box.…What I do here is navigate to the folder…that has my file and then I click the file name.…In this case it's 0302_existing.…And at the bottom right, click Insert.…
That inserts the file as a sub-project.…You can always tell sub-projects…because there's a project icon in the Indicators column.…And if you point at that icon, it'll tell you…where the file lives.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up portfolio measures
- Creating custom fields to calculate selection criteria
- Defining custom fields for risk measures
- Setting up resource planning
- Building a list of projects
- Adding graphical indicators to the portfolio dashboard
- Evaluating projects for the portfolio
- Reviewing demand and availability for each skill set
- Building a rough schedule
- Managing the portfolio