Schedule contingency acts as a safety margin that helps you deliver your project on time. Learn how to use schedule contingency time to prevent delays to the project finish date.
- [Instructor] Schedule contingency acts…as a safety margin…that helps you deliver your project on time.…Work estimates are by definition uncertain.…They're based on assumptions…about work, resource availability,…people's experience, productivity and so on.…If your assumptions are off,…activity durations might lengthen or shorten.…Risks that occur…can also affect your project's duration and schedule.…
For example, a construction project could be delayed…by a long stretch of bad weather.…Don't build contingency time…into individual work package activities.…That makes contingency hard to manage…and lengthens the schedule unnecessarily.…Instead add separate contingency activities…to your schedule…so you can monitor and manage them.…Add contingency activities for specific reasons.…
For example, to get up to speed on new technology…or break on new people.…These contingency activities clearly communicate…your reasoning to management…and assure them that you aren't simply padding the schedule.…Suppose management wants a 90% probability…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.