In this movie, you see how to use an Excel workbook to create and save an import map to correlate columns in Excel with fields in Project, including setting a merge key. The movie then demonstrates how to use a saved import map to import actual task values into a Project file.
- [Voiceover] When you get files with progress data…from team members, you can import that data…into existing records in a Project file.…To make imports go even faster,…you can save a map that remembers which fields…in Excel correspond to which fields in Project.…Let's start by taking a look at an update form in Excel.…This form has actual values in it,…and we're going to use this file to update…our Project file.…
I'm going to jump over to Project.…Before we do the update, we want to remove…the filter on this task list.…On the View tab, go to the Filter box,…click the down arrow, and choose No Filter…on the drop-down menu.…Now that I can see all of my tasks,…I'm ready to do the import.…Head over to the File tab and choose Open.…We want to open up an Excel file.…I'm gonna click Browse.…
But it turns out in this example…the Open box opens to the folder that I want.…It's the Exercise Files folder…and the sub-folder 04.…But the thing is, I don't see my Excel file.…That's because the file type is set to Projects.…Click the down arrow in that box…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.