Everything in a project runs more smoothly when you identify all the work that needs to be done and break it down to the right level of detail. Learn how to identify deliverables and activities needed to complete a project.
- [Instructor] Everything in a project runs more smoothly…when you identify all the work that needs to be done…and break it down to the right level of detail.…Keep in mind that includes work performed…by internal resources…as well as contractors, subs, and other vendors.…Identifying work starts…with a work breakdown structure or WBS.…You create it as part of defining your project scope.…
First, make a list of the project's high-level deliverables.…In the WBS, deliverables are named using nouns.…In our example, the high-level deliverables…are publish training guide…and launched website.…Second, look for lower-level deliverables.…In our example, a few lower-level deliverables…are the completed manuscript, laid-out training guide…and training guide available for sale.…
Lowest-level deliverables are called work packages.…The manuscript deliverable has several work packages,…preparation, written manuscript,…captured graphics and revised manuscript.…Don't forget to add in activities…that aren't associated with deliverables…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.