In this video, learn about setting the team and the business up for success. Learn how to be demanding but not so demanding that people feel that they are set up for failure. Morale matters and attrition matters.
- [Instructor] In this course,…we're going to talk a lot about the balance of hard skills…and soft skills of program management.…I had a project that was assigned to me…that had been wandering aimlessly for a year or so…and I was assigned to get it back on the tracks.…So, I had a one on one with each member,…asked them four questions.…The first question was tell me about yourself.…This gave them an opportunity…to tell me of their strengths.…The next question I asked was tell me…what you'd like to contribute to the project.…This gave them an opportunity…to volunteer for things that are their strengths…and how they can contribute the best.…
It's important to play people to their strengths.…It's important to ask electrical people…to do electrical work,…and not have electrical people try and pour concrete,…that's just a bad idea.…So, playing people to their strengths…is a key soft skill, pay attention to it,…it'll pay off.…The next question that I asked was…tell me about what's going right about the project.…This gives the participant an opportunity…
- Hard skills and soft skills needed for program management
- Reporting and managing risk
- Phases of program management
- Understanding customers
- Running effective team meetings
- Working with partners
- Engineering, architecture, design, and code reviews
- Managing delivery and release
- Competitive analysis
- Measuring results
Skill Level Intermediate
Big Data Foundations: Program Managementwith Alan Simon1h 11m Intermediate
Make IT Work in Your Businesswith Scott M Burrell1h 43m Intermediate
Cert Prep: SNCP Foundations (S10-110)with Hubbert Smith2h 21m Intermediate
1. Career in Program Management
Reporting and managing risk3m 46s
2. Concept Development: Project Phase 0
3. Plan and Scope: Project Phase 1
4. Development and Execution: Project Phase 2
5. Delivery and Release: Project Phase 3
6. Operate: Project Phase 4
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.