Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Fine-tuning tasks for subcontractor work, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Subcontractors might have to complete several tasks…to earn a milestone payment.…One way to track when a payment is due is…to create a summary task for all the tasks associated…with that payment.…To make sure that you've included tasks…for every line item in a contract,…you can set up a custom task field…for contract lines.…We're going to be working on a lot of the tasks…in this project, so I want to see as many…of them as possible in the screen.…To do that, I want to hide the details pane…down in the bottom half of the window.…
The easiest way to do that is to point…at the horizontal divider in between…the Gantt chart view and the task form view.…When you see the two-headed arrow here,…double-click and that hides the details pane.…We're going to start with the tasks…for the security system company,…they get paid in three installments.…The first payment is 25%…when the design is approved.…Let's take a look at task 12,…that's a summary task called,…security design.…
It turns out it has the two work tasks,…designing the system,…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance