In this video, Bonnie Biafore covers how to identify potential schedule problems and their causes as well as identify metrics for evaluating the critical path.
- While work is under way,…you need to watch for schedule problems brewing.…That way you can do something about them…before they get out of hand.…First, look for activities…starting later than you originally planned.…In this example, the gray bars show the baseline schedule…and the red and blue bars…are where work is scheduled now.…Activities that don't start when they're supposed to…probably won't finish on time.…If a late activity isn't on the critical path,…it can delay a little…before it affects the project finish.…
Flag the activity as one to watch.…If the activity is on the critical path,…consider techniques for getting it back on track.…Also, research why the activity is starting late.…Did the predecessors finish late?…And if so, why?…If possible, resolve the issue…so future activities aren't affected.…Suppose the writers report…that the chapters are taking longer than estimated…because the software isn't working as described…in the design documents.…
You and the writers might decide…to assign an assistant to find and confirm…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.