Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating subcontractor resources who represent multiple people, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Say the subcontractor installing the software system…is providing a team of three people…who are mostly interchangeable.…The company charges an hourly rate for its resources…so we want to set up a work resource…to track time and its associated cost.…The secret to a team resource…is Project's Maximum Units field.…Here's the system's subs project schedule.…We're going to create the team resource in this file.…On the View tab, click Resource Sheet…to go to the Resource Sheet view.…
With interchangeable resources,…you don't need to know their names because you don't know…who's going to be working on your project.…Because of that, I'm going to use a generic name…for this team resource.…Click the Resource Name cell…and type the name of the resource.…I'm going to use Software Team.…When I press Tab to move to the Type cell,…Project automatically assigns it as a work resource.…We know that the sub is charging by the hour,…so we do want to track hours,…and that means the work resource is just what we want.…
I'm going to jump over to the initial cell.…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance