This movie shows how to set the status date, and then create a custom view to list tasks to update. It describes how to use a custom field to identify who is responsible for updating tasks. The movie describes how to build a custom filter to list incomplete tasks that should start before the status date.
- [Voiceover] If you make it easy…for people to report progress,…you're more likely to get the info you need.…To create task update forms, let's start…by creating a custom view that lists…the tasks that need to be updated.…Suppose you don't assign resources to tasks,…or maybe you're content to update task…level values and let Project allocate…them down to assignments.…Either way, you can stick with updating…task dates and duration.…
We're gonna start by creating a custom field…to identify who's responsible for providing…updates for specific tasks.…To create a custom field, you want to head…to the Project tab.…In the Properties section,…click the Custom Fields button.…In the Custom Fields dialogue box,…Project goes to the Text type,…which is what we want,…and it selects Text1, which is…the field we're going to use.…Since it's already selected,…I can click the Rename button to…give it a more meaningful name.…
I'm gonna call it Task Updater.…When I click OK, this new alias…for the field shows up in the list…with Text1, the actual name of…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.