This video demonstrates how to assign a calendar to a task to control when the task is scheduled. It also shows how to handle a task whose calendar conflicts with the work schedules for the assigned resources.
- [Instructor] Sometimes, tasks have to run unusual times.…Like maintenance tasks that run on weekends,…when no one is in the office.…That's where assigning a special calendar…to a task comes in handy.…Let's create a weekend calendar for maintenance tasks.…On the project tab, click Change Working Time,…and we're going to head over to the top right…and click the Create New Calendar button.…In the Create New Base Calendar dialogue box,…Make a Copy of Standard is selected, which is what we want.…
In the Name box, Copy of Standard is already selected,…so I can just jump right into typing the name…of this new base calendar.…I'm going to call it: Weekend.…And then I'll type in: F-R-I, for Friday.…Hyphen, S-A-T for Saturday, because this weekend…is going to be a Friday night and Saturday morning.…Go ahead and click okay.…Now, our new calendar sits in the For Calendar box,…which means I can go ahead and modify the calendar.…
We're going to change the workweek.…In the bottom half of the dialogue box,…I'm going to click Workweeks, Project selects…
Next, Bonnie explains how to create shift calendars by setting work schedules for specific tasks and assigning schedules to resources. Then learn how to fine-tune project, task, and resource calendars, including biweekly schedules. Last, she covers working with multiple calendars, including copying and sharing custom calendars with all Project files and integrating multiple projects with different calendars into a single master Project file.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with John Riopel.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up your organization's calendar, including nonworking periods
- Coordinating calendars
- Creating a new shift calendar
- Assigning calendars to resources
- Customizing project, task, and resource calendars
- Working with multiple calendars in a master Project file