Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing the right Project edition, part of Microsoft Project 2010 Essential Training.
- Before we get started, there are two things you need to know about this course. First, there are two different editions of Project 2010: Project Standard and Project Professional. Project Professional includes all the desktop features that Project offers. For example, the Team Planner view has tasks assigned to resources in swim lanes. You can easily spot overallocations and drag tasks to reschedule or reassign them. You can also inactivate tasks.
Inactive tasks appear in the schedule. They're grey with strikethrough through them. The interesting thing about inactive tasks is they keep all their values, but those values don't affect the schedule totals or resource availability. Project Professional also lets you publish projects to Project Server if you work in an enterprise project management environment. Those are just a few reasons why I recommend Project Professional. The other thing to know about this course is that it covers how to use Microsoft Project to manage projects.
It doesn't cover project management in detail. If you're interested in learning more about project management, Lynda.com has many courses on that subject.
- Setting up projects and calendars
- Creating tasks and milestones
- Linking and timing tasks
- Setting up and assigning resources
- Understanding duration, work, and units
- Filtering and grouping items with views
- Adding tasks to a baseline
- Updating progress and costs
- Viewing project status
- Running reports
- Importing and exporting projects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Working with Project
2. Setting Up Project Files
3. Creating Tasks
4. Linking and Timing tasks
5. Creating Resources
6. Assigning Tasks to Resources
7. Working with Views
8. Fine-Tuning the Project Schedule
9. Tracking and Managing a Project
10. Viewing and Reporting Project Information
11. Sharing Projects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.