In this video, see how to determine which field type should be used and how that impacts the data entry and reporting.
- [Instructor] When choosing a custom field,…you need to think about how you plan on using it…in the project application.…In a previous video, we created a look up field,…but if we hadn't made the lookup,…what might that choice have made for us?…In this case, we're going to build a new column.…I'm going to go to the project ribbon,…and select custom fields again.…This time, I'm going to press Text2 and rename that…to my FinanceCode2 option and press OK.…
I'm not going to build a lookup for this particular field,…I'll leave it plain so that it's just the way it would be…if I just created a field,…and press OK.…I'm going to insert that column to the left of my task…name column so that I can populate it with some information.…I'll right click on my task name column…and insert FinanceCode2.…I want the same information in it…just without the lookup.…As you can see, without the lookup,…I have no predefined choices.…
I'm going to copy the information from my FinanceCode,…the first one I built, by clicking on the column header,…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with Bonnie Biafore.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Touring custom field categories
- Working with enterprise fields
- Creating lookup tables
- Choosing custom fields
- Using custom fields to edit built-in fields
- Importing fields and formulas
- Creating formulas to edit text based on other fields
- Creating graphical indicators
- Choosing effective indicators
- Importing indicator criteria