This movie demonstrates how to create a custom view to simplify updating work. It starts with saving an existing custom view as a new view. Then, it shows how to add, remove, and rearrange columns in the custom table that Project creates.
- [Voiceover] If you plan to track work,…a custom view and table with the fields you need,…makes your job easier.…Right now we already have one custom view…in our project file,…and that's for updating duration.…Here I am on the View tab,…and I've got the Gantt Chart button…on the very left in the ribbon.…If I click the bottom-half of that button,…I can see that I've got…the Custom View,…C + underscore Update Duration applied.…This view is actually a pretty good start…for the next custom view that we wanna create.…
So I'm gonna keep it applied.…What I wanna do…is save it as a new view.…On the drop-down menu,…I'm gonna choose Save View.…Because I have a custom view applied,…the Save View dialog box has two options in it.…I can either update the current view.…Basically re-saving it with other changes,…or I can save it as a brand new view.…That's what I wanna do.…So I keep that option selected.…Then in the Name box,…I'm gonna give it a new name.…
It's a custom element.…I like to add C + underscore at the beginning…and then I say what the view is for.…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.