This movie demonstrates how to create a custom view to simplify updating duration. It starts with saving an existing view as a new view. Then, you see how to add, remove, and rearrange columns in the custom table that Project creates. It also shows how to quickly change a column’s width.
- [Voiceover] The built-in tracking Gantt view…and tracking table…have the fields you need to update Duration.…However, creating a custom view…and tweaking the tracking table…make it easier to do Duration updates.…Let's start by applying the Tracking Gantt view…to this project.…I have the Task tab displayed,…so I'm going to head over to the left side…and click the bottom half of the Gantt Chart button.…On the drop-down menu of views,…I scroll down until I find Tracking Gantt…and click that.…
Now, I've got the Tracking Gantt view.…When I right-click the top-left cell in the table,…I see that the entry table is applied to this view.…I want to change that to the tracking table,…so I'm going to choose Tracking.…Now that I've got the Tracking Gantt view…with the tracking table applied,…I want to save this as a new custom view.…To do that,…I'm going to head over to that Gantt Chart button…and click the bottom half.…Then, at the bottom of that menu,…you'll see Save View.…
Click that, and that opens up the Save View dialog box.…
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. It will show how to use Project to implement the skills taught in Project Management Fundamentals, Managing Project Budgets, and Agile Project Management with Microsoft Project. You can follow along with Project 2010, 2013, or 2016, using the free or premium versions of the exercise files.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to set up a custom view that can be modified.
- Recall the importance of setting a status state prior to reviewing or updating.
- Calculate the percentage of remaining work.
- Recognize the function of 4 keyboard shortcuts.
- Determine the steps to take when identifying an individual responsible for providing updates on a specific task in a custom view.
- Explain how to set up an Import Wizard for the first time.