Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Assigning subcontractors paid by the hour, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Assigning subcontractors to tasks…when they're paid by the hour…should be familiar.…Since you need to track the subs' hours,…you assign them like you do other work resources in Project.…Because we're going to be working with assignments,…I want to turn the Details pane back on.…You can do that right from the Task tab.…Head over to the right end of the ribbon…to the Properties section, and click Details.…That turns on the Details pane.…In this case, the Task Details Form…is showing up in the Details pane…and that's just fine.…
Now let's go back up to the top half of the window…to the Gantt Chart and click in that pane.…Then scroll down, near the bottom of the project.…We want to look at the tasks for User Acceptance Testing.…I'm going to click that task so I can see its assignments…down in the Task Details Form.…This task has employees assigned to it.…Now, you remember from another movie,…these are all work resources.…So, just like you've done thousands of times,…you have resources assigned so that the duration,…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance