Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Assigning subcontractors paid by the hour, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- Assigning subcontractors to tasks…when they're paid by the hour…should be familiar.…Since you need to track the subs' hours,…you assign them like you do other work resources in Project.…Because we're going to be working with assignments,…I want to turn the Details pane back on.…You can do that right from the Task tab.…Head over to the right end of the ribbon…to the Properties section, and click Details.…That turns on the Details pane.…In this case, the Task Details Form…is showing up in the Details pane…and that's just fine.…
Now let's go back up to the top half of the window…to the Gantt Chart and click in that pane.…Then scroll down, near the bottom of the project.…We want to look at the tasks for User Acceptance Testing.…I'm going to click that task so I can see its assignments…down in the Task Details Form.…This task has employees assigned to it.…Now, you remember from another movie,…these are all work resources.…So, just like you've done thousands of times,…you have resources assigned so that the duration,…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to show the type of contract for a new resource.
- Recall how to set up a team resource to track time and cost.
- Recognize the benefits of inserting a subcontractor’s project into a main project file.
- Determine how to add a summary task as a part of a last milestone.
- Identify the steps taken to view all tasks assigned to a specific subcontractor.
- Summarize the type of relationships shown in four kinds of charts in the Resource Cost Overview.