Learn how to assign resources to tasks with estimated work hours.
- [Instructor] With projects selected for the portfolio,…the next step is to figure out the resource demand…those projects represent.…You don't know who's going to work on each project yet.…That's why assigning generic resources is perfect…for estimating demand by skill set.…So here we're looking at the Selection Dashboard view.…The first thing that I want to do…is I want to filter this view to only show my active projects.…Now, you already know that you could filter this table…by clicking the down arrow in the InPortfolio column…and then turning check boxes on or off…to decide which setting that you want to show…but I want to define a filter…that I can use throughout Project.…
So instead, on the View tab,…I'm going to go to the Data section and the Filter box,…click the down arrow and on the drop down menu,…choose New Filter.…That opens up the Filter Definition dialog box.…Automatically, the name of the filter is selected…in the Name box so I can go right ahead…and type the name I want for the filter which is Active.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up portfolio measures
- Creating custom fields to calculate selection criteria
- Defining custom fields for risk measures
- Setting up resource planning
- Building a list of projects
- Adding graphical indicators to the portfolio dashboard
- Evaluating projects for the portfolio
- Reviewing demand and availability for each skill set
- Building a rough schedule
- Managing the portfolio