Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Assigning cost resources for fixed-price work, part of Managing Subcontractor Projects with Microsoft Project.
- [Voiceover] When subcontractors provide a fixed-price…for a job, you don't need hours to calculate labor costs.…All you have to do to follow the money and project,…is assign a cost resource and amount…to the subs payment milestones.…Let's start by looking at the Resource Sheet.…On the view tab, I click Resource Sheet.…In another movie we created two cost resources…for the fixed-price contracts for this project.…Michelle Booker is the system architect…and this cost resource, Security Sub,…is for the security company…that's doing the new security system.…
Now that we've seen the resources,…let's head back to the Gantt chart.…On the view tab,…click the top half of the Gantt chart button.…We're going to scroll down…and find the first payment milestone…for the security company.…That's Approved security system design.…When you select that up in the Gantt chart view,…you can see the information about it down in the details pane.…This task has a couple of the employees assigned:…General manager and Customer PM.…What we're going to do here is assign the cost resource…
Expert project manager Bonnie Biafore introduces approaches for working with subcontractors, including how to set them up in Project and incorporate their schedules. The course then explains how to set up multiperson team resources, assign subcontractors to tasks, periodically update the project, and review subcontractor performance based on cost, work, and schedule, and in relation to the overall project. Follow along with the sample Project file, featuring before-and-after examples you can use to compare your work to the author's.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with author John Riopel. The techniques apply to Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Setting up hourly subcontractors
- Creating multiperson subcontractor resources
- Inserting subcontractor schedules
- Assigning subcontractors
- Handling progress information
- Analyzing subcontractor and project performance