Resource assignments are a big part of the project scheduling puzzle, because the resources you get and when they're available can affect how long activities take and when they occur. In this video, Bonnie covers how to assign all resources to activities.
- [Instructor] Resource assignments are a big part…of the project scheduling puzzle…because the resources you get…and when they're available…can affect how long activities take…and when they occur.…For many projects, the people on your project team…aren't identified until planning is well under way.…That means you have to build your initial schedule…based on guesses…like how many resources are available…and how experienced they are.…
If your team isn't in place yet,…you can use generic resources…to represent the roles or skills required.…In our example, I have a list of the skills needed…to complete the training guide.…You assign resources only to activities…that belong to work packages,…the lowest level activities in your schedule.…That's where the work is.…Summary activities roll up what's going on…in the activities that belong to them,…so they already represent work performed by resources.…
For that reason, you should not assign resources…to summary activities.…Milestones don't have duration…so it doesn't make sense to assign resources…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.