Adjusting work over time can help you even out workloads and improve your schedule's accuracy. Vary the amount of time allocated from task start to finish to model how work is performed.
- [Instructor] Adjusting work over time can help you…even out work loads and improve your schedule's accuracy.…When you first assign people to activities,…the typical model is that works runs…at the person's full allocation, from start to finish,…but work levels can vary in several ways…over the duration of an assignment.…You've probably experienced a work contour…like a bell curve.…Work starts off slow as someone gathers the info they need…and gets used to their assignment.…
Then, they hit their stride…and they're completely productive…through the middle of the work.…Finally, the effort tapers off near the finish…while they tie up loose ends.…Another common contour is the late peak.…This is the one for people who work well on adrenaline.…The work starts slow and continues to build…to a peak as the deadline grows closer.…These are a couple examples of work contours.…
Some scheduling programs have contours you can apply…to activities.…If someone's work hours vary day-by-day,…find the contour that best reflects…those varying work levels and assign it to the activity.…
Note: This course aligns with best practices from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Sixth Edition, published by the Project Management Institute®.
- Developing a schedule management plan
- Identifying project activities
- Adding milestones
- Organizing work
- Estimating duration and work
- Handling lag in dependencies
- Defining resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with part-time and remote workers
- Fine-tuning assignments
- Optimizing schedules
- Managing and changing schedules
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding a Project Schedule
2. Identifying and Organizing Activities
3. Sequencing Activities
4. Assigning Resources to Tasks
5. Fine-Tuning Assignments
6. Optimizing Schedules
Baseline the schedule2m 12s
7. Managing Schedules
Next steps2m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.