Learn how to assign skill sets to resources.
- [Narrator] Assigning skillsets to both generic…and named resources makes it easy to compare…estimated workloads in proposed projects…to your team's availability.…A custom field with a lookup table…simplifies filling in skillset values.…Now the first thing I want to tell you is…the ultimate goal is to get the skillset values…into the group field.…And that's because the group field…is the only resource field that you can see in a task view.…
And that comes in handy…when we're assigning resources to tasks…and we want to see the demand for a particular skillset.…The thing is the group field you would have…to type in those skillsets in every single cell.…So what we're going to do is…we're going to create a custom field…with a lookup table.…So let's a head to the project tab…and click custom fields.…And I'm going to use Text25.…So I select that in the list.…
And then I'll click the Rename button…and we'll call this Skillset.…Now that I have the field renamed,…beneath the box I'm going to click the Lookup button…to open up the Edit Lookup Table for Skillset dialogue box.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up portfolio measures
- Creating custom fields to calculate selection criteria
- Defining custom fields for risk measures
- Setting up resource planning
- Building a list of projects
- Adding graphical indicators to the portfolio dashboard
- Evaluating projects for the portfolio
- Reviewing demand and availability for each skill set
- Building a rough schedule
- Managing the portfolio