In this video, you see how to add exceptions for holidays to the standard calendar. This video steps through creating recurring exceptions to add holidays for several years into the future.
- [Instructor] Project automatically applies…the standard calendar…from your global template to new projects.…So, life is simpler when you modify the standard calendar…to match your organization's work schedule.…We're going to start with adding a few holidays…to the standard calendar.…I'm going to head to the Project tab…and click Change Working Time.…The Change Working Time dialog box opens up…with the standard calendar, which is the project calendar…for this project, already in the For calendar box.…
So we can go straight into modifying…the standard calendar with some holidays.…In addition, the dialog box displays the Exceptions tab,…and that's perfect, because that's where you add holidays…and other non-working time.…Well, let's start with the Fourth of July.…So, I'm going to type in the name for the holiday,…and you can name it whatever you want.…I'm just going to call it July Fourth.…Then in the Start box, I can either click the down arrow…to display the calendar or type the date in the box.…
In this case, I'm going to scroll until I see July,…
Next, Bonnie explains how to create shift calendars by setting work schedules for specific tasks and assigning schedules to resources. Then learn how to fine-tune project, task, and resource calendars, including biweekly schedules. Last, she covers working with multiple calendars, including copying and sharing custom calendars with all Project files and integrating multiple projects with different calendars into a single master Project file.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with John Riopel.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up your organization's calendar, including nonworking periods
- Coordinating calendars
- Creating a new shift calendar
- Assigning calendars to resources
- Customizing project, task, and resource calendars
- Working with multiple calendars in a master Project file