An excellent Lean company cannot limit itself to staying on the same successful path. Continuous improvement sometimes means taking alternative routes. In this video, Steven shows how companies like Zara and Southwest Airlines apply Lean practices in somewhat different ways.
- The customer has always driven the business model.…That's a quote from a name you probably won't recognize;…Amancio Ortega.…He's the CEO of a company you may not know; Indetex.…Indetex owns a company Ortega founded in 1973; Zara.…Zara is what made him famous…and also one of the richest men in the world…and lean is what made Zara famous.…In addition to Toyota of course,…Zara is one of the best company examples of Lean principles…and practice.…
Zara is a chain of clothing retail stores…that specializes in producing affordable versions…of the latest clothing styles,…often called the fast fashion industry.…The company makes, and delivers and sells its products…directly to the consumer.…In this business products become obsolete very quickly…and new product releases sometimes fail totally.…In the fashion world, consumer taste change rapidly.…From the very beginning,…Ortega immersed Zara in lean practices,…here are a few examples; first and foremost,…Zara controls its inventory to the lowest level possible.…
For example, they make a limited quantity of a new style…
Lean concepts have been successfully applied to every aspect of doing business. In this course, learn the principles of lean and how they are used in processes, production, and services. Instructor Steven Brown also explains how lean thinking impacts the organization, from the overall business culture to day-to-day work activities.
- Cite the focus of a lean strategy.
- Explain what a “rule of complexity” is.
- Name the three key measures of inventory.
- List the 5S tools.
- Define a lean transportation system.
- Describe the characteristics of a lean purchasing organization.
- Identify the characteristics of a lean company.
Skill Level Beginner
Enterprise Agile: Disciplined Agile (DA) versus Spotifywith Doug Rose1h 11m Intermediate
1. Lean Defined
2. Lean Processes
3. Lean Manufacturing
4. Lean Services
5. Lean Thinking
Next steps1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.