So what does a program manager do and what skills are required to perform the job? Learn about the competencies needed to be a program manager and what makes this position different than a project manager.
- So what does a program manager do…and what skills does she need to have?…First off, the program manager needs to manage…all of the project managers that are working on the program.…If you're thinking by now that the project manager…must be reporting to the program manager, you're right.…The program manager is responsible for delivering…the benefits to the organization,…and this is the work that…the project managers are completing.…Managing strategy is high on the list…of what a program manager needs to manage.…
Since the strategy is coming from levels…higher in the organization, she will need…to be the master in managing the relationships…with those key stakeholders.…A stakeholder is anyone who is positively…or negatively affected by your program.…Let's take a peek at some of the skills…a program manager needs to perform her job effectively.…Apart from the usual skills like…being an effective communicator,…the program manager is an enabler.…What do I mean there?…The projects need to get the work done,…but sometimes things get in the way.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is program management?
- Who are program managers?
- Program versus project
- Program life-cycle phases
- Aligning programs to an organization's strategies
- Analyzing needs and planning programs
- Delivering and sustaining benefits from programs
- Working with program stakeholders
- Supporting program governance activities
- Managing program finances and resources
- Scheduling programs
- Managing program scope and quality