Understand techniques for engaging specialists early so they're ready when you need them.
- On most of the Scrum teams I've worked,…they don't have all the skills needed to build a product.…While that seems like it's in direct conflict…with the basic foundation of Scrum, it really isn't.…Most of the time there are specialties needed…on a team once in a while, but not full time.…These shared services are things like,…database analysts, architects, and UX designers.…For these skills your team may only need them…for a few Sprints and no more.…Since these skills aren't needed full time…on your Scrum team, it usually doesn't make sense…for the team to cross-train in these areas.…
Doing so wouldn't really have a significant…positive impact on the team's velocity.…Since you'll be utilizing these specialists once in a while,…you'll need to help them prepare.…It's best for you to involve the specialists…one or two Sprints ahead of the time that you'll need them.…All you need to do is begin adding them…to the teams events.…As they attend, they'll begin to learn the product,…the backlog, and the team members.…
Note: Because this is an ongoing series, viewers will not receive a certificate of completion.
- Diagnosing problems within an agile team
- Solving issues with agile meetings
- Creating cross-functional teams
- Helping distributed teams function well
- Managing up within your organization