Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Pareto analysis, part of Project Management Foundations: Quality.
- Have you ever been faced with such a large set…of daunting tasks to accomplish…that you don't know where to start?…For me, that issue becomes even more difficult…when you're working through a problem.…That is where a bit of good, sound logic can help.…Pareto Analysis is a method to apply reason…and logic to the process of managing…improvements to the quality of the products you produce.…Pareto Analysis is based on the Pareto Principle,…more commonly known as the 80/20 Rule.…
This states that 80% of your issues will come…as a result of 20% of your root causes.…Although the figures should not always…be taken literally, it is a principle…that usually fits quite well in the project environment.…So, let me share a sample Pareto chart…and tell you how it was compiled…so you can use this powerful, quality…management approach on your project.…A typical Pareto Analysis graph looks like this.…The X axis shows the types of quality problems…you have, in descending order.…
The Y axis shows you the number of instances…of each type of problem you're having.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define project quality.
- Identify quality-planning components.
- Perform quality assurance.
- Examine the cost of quality.
- List types of quality tools.
- Describe the tenets of Pareto analysis.
- Explain the House of Quality approach.
- Apply Lean Six Sigma.
- Test deliverables and roles.