This video discusses some of the issues that can surface when creating the flowchart diagram, as well as common mistakes that can be made when developing the diagram and how you can avoid them.
- I like to relate work to life.…It really helps get things sorted in my head.…So when I think of flowchart diagrams…and cross-functional flow diagrams,…I think of the challenges that come…with raising my 12-year-old twins.…They are a boy and a girl so they're not identical.…They have similarities that are easy to spot,…but there's also very different…and they want to be treated differently.…So too with your diagrams.…Drawing the line between cross-functional flow diagrams…and process maps is the first problem I find.…
They may seem a little odd considering…that the differences appear pretty clear.…One has multiple actors and the other a sole actor.…However, you'd be surprised how often analysts…will try to create a hybrid version…that attempts to encompass multiple players…in a single flowchart process map.…Another challenge occurs when there hasn't been…enough groundwork done before the flowchart is drawn up.…I have seen occasions where the analyst…jumps straight in trying to map out a flow chart process map…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Using common modeling tools
- Determining when to use a particular modeling diagram
- Avoiding the pitfalls associated with each diagram
- Creating diagrams
- Leveraging key stakeholders